Tuesday, November 25, 2008

My brother has almost finished his testing to donate a kidney


My brother Hector came up from Orange County on Tuesday, Nov 18, 2008. He had 8 appointments the next day between 8 and 4 PM. A blood draw, an EKG, a CAT scan, chest x-ray, etc. The Donor Coordinator said that if all goes well, we can have the surgery on Dec. 16th. I am not on dialysis so far, although my doctors are not very happy about that. I will watch my symptoms and blood results closely to decide if I need dialysis before my transplant. My latest results from Nov. 13 are Creatinine 7.03, BUN (toxins) 75, and I have 7% kidney function left overall. The normal range for Creatinine is under 1.2 and normal BUN is under 25. My blood pressure goes up to around 150/105 about 3 times a day. Yarid gives me an Epogen shot for my anemia every week. My blood count has improved a lot. I have to get it every week to maintain my numbers (hematocrit, hemoglobin, etc) from falling again.
P.S. Thank you Brenda for offering your kidney to me, and for all of your advice, and for staying by my side every step of the way. Thank you Hector for the kidney you will give me. I can't thank you enough. It feels good to know how much my family cares and loves me.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

About My Kidneys


My kidney disease started in 1997 when I noticed blood in my urine and my doctor said I only had a urine infection. But besides the blood, they also found an abnormal amount of protein in my urine. They did a biopsy in 2001 and found it was IgA Nephropathy. That is a kidney autoimmune disease where my immune system attacks my kidneys as if they were foreign. Doctors said I was stable enough to have a baby in 2006, so they took me off my meds, and I had Chris. But, by the end of my pregnancy, the protein in my urine increased, as well as my blood pressure. They induced me because of preeclampsia, and gave me Magnesium drugs before, during and after labor. My blood pressure never came down, even with a high dose of new medicine (Nifedipine 120 mg/day). As weeks went by, I retained more water weight, but it eventually went away after 2 months. My blood pressure remained somewhat high, but the doctors said I was stable enough to wait 8 months until my next check up. I didn't get approved by Medi-cal, so I didn't get my blood checked until July 2008 at the Davis Community Clinic. The doctor noticed my Serum Creatinine was at 2.56 mg/dL and decided to retest me. A normal number is .8mg/dL. It took the clinic a month and a half to get me seen by a Nephrologist, only after I kept pressuring them to refer me. My Serum Creatinine went up to 4.0 in July. They did a new biopsy, a few EKG's, gave me lasix for my high potassium. The biopsy showed scaring, and tubular necrosis from the chronic IgA Nephropathy. They don't know what made it worse. They gave me 3 days of the liquid form of Prednisone in huge doses, through an IV. They gave me an EPO injection for anemia and also a blood transfusion. When I was released, they added Fosamax to my prescriptions, they also added additional Clonidine for my blood pressure, I now take 40 mg of Prednisone each day. A few days after spending a week in the hospital, my blood pressure was 192/111 so I went to the ER, where they lowered it by giving me lasix again, which reduced my edema too. I am on a renal diet. I applied for Medi-cal in July and was approved 2 months later. My husband, Yarid took a month of work to care for me. He doesn't get paid for his time off. And he will have to take more time off after I have my kidney transplant. Plus my antirejection medications will cost me $6,000/month. I am not sure if I can get full coverage for them and my Medi-cal is only temporary. I may also have to do dialysis before my transplant, which would take about 15 hours away from his work time every week. Because he would need to drive me all the way to the hospital and back, and watch our 2 year old son while I am hooked up. I was told to go on dialysis 5 weeks ago but I am trying to hold off as long as I can. My anemia is the biggest concern at the moment because my blood count has dropped down to a critical number (hemoglobin 7.6). If I drop one more number, I will need a blood transfusion. The EPO shot for my anemia takes a long time to kick in and if it works, it will be very slowly. We are trying not to stress too much about our financial problems so we can focus on my health. We are letting God guide us and watch over us. We are asking for any help that can be offered to our family during this hard time.
Thank you and God Bless,
The Acosta Family.